Yales of Wales Excerts

Share

These are the histories of Pas y Ial as researched and told by Gordon Sharrat who was a descendant of Col. William Parry Jones-Parry who assumed the Yale name after Sarah Yale died with no progeny. He was active in the local history of Llangollen have published one book and some pamphlets. He attempted to make a heroic restoration of the place in the 1970s but eventually it seems age and health failed him. He appears to have died in October 2010.

These were extracted from a reprint of Yales and Wales by Rodney Yale originally published in 1908. Descendants of the Yales (William and David grandchildren of Rodney Yale the author of the original volume) made contact with Mr. Sherratt on a visit from America. They updated the volume with their part of the family tree, Mr. Sherratt's previously written history (here), and something about their time at Pas Ial.

I photographed the pages of the updated volume relating to the updated history by Mr. Sherratt from a copy owned by the owners of Plas y Ial who were kind enough to loan it to me for the evening. I subsequently ran the photos through an OCR and then made minimal formatting and editing changes. I left misspellings in place.

PLAS YN YALE, LLANDEGLA
BY GORDON SHERRATT

Plas yn Yale is situated at about 1,100 feet above sea level on the A.5104 Corwen to Wrexham Road, about one mile from the village of Llandegla and about two miles from the village of Bryn Eglwys. The estate lies at the foot of a deep gully surrounded by woodland, making it a secluded and hidden place.

Access to the site was originally via the old Roman road, which ran along the ridge above the estate. Later, the A.5104 road was constructed, providing a more direct route. The site has played a strategic role in Welsh history, with figures such as the Llewelyns and Owen Glyndwr using it as a rallying place. In those times the alternative name “Alt Llwyn ar Draig Goch” (“Hill Grove of the Red Dragon”) would indicate clearly to all familiar with the National Emblonic Banner that armies were wont to mobilise here, and a tired Glyndwr (whose connection with this house we shall later learn) was to rest the tattered remnants of his once proud army after an unsuccessful assault on Ruthin town. Whilst regaining wind and seeking reinforcements, the Welsh lay low in the aforementioned gulley, while the enemy English, seeing all to be seemingly quiet here, passed by on the ridge of the hill.

Development of the Site
Although little or nothing is positively known of the original dwelling, this would most certainly have been largely built of wood, and is thought to have been destroyed by fire circa 1415. However, in 1972 a well‑known medieval historian, when visiting the writer, was much interested by the small cellar lying beneath part of the drawing room — and in particular the narrow, curving passage which gives access to it — arriving at the opinion that this is likely to be what remains of the base of an early tower‑like structure which probably formed the stronghold of the original dwelling. It is unlikely, therefore, that the later builders would have passed over the opportunity of incorporating this ready‑made cellar into the new building.

Here, when considering the development of the present house, it is well to remember that over the centuries the limited amounts of money available (and often not available) have governed the extent to which repairs and alterations have been carried out. Thus it was never possible at any one time to raze to the ground and replace with a new house more in keeping with the imposing plastai of the 18th and 19th centuries which had begun to appear in this part of North Wales. Although this may be considered to be a “mixed blessing,” it has on the whole made for a more interesting (but most certainly less beautiful) house, the development of which can be clearly traced from its 15th‑century beginnings.

About the year 1450 A.D. one Ellis ap Griffith (the son of Lowrie, niece of the celebrated Owen Glyndwr, being the daughter of his brother Tudor) took as his wife Margaret, an heiress of the equally ancient local family of Gelli Gynan and Boddiris, and by using the proceeds from the sale of part of his inheritance “did build for his wife a new house at Yale, better than that to which he had been accustomed.” From this we may deduce two things:

That Ellis, having already the site and upon raising the money, built for his bride a new house where the old had once stood.

That Margaret’s home was still of early (largely timber) construction.

And so began the development of the present house built in stone—a new development for hereabouts—said to have been the first so built in Denbighshire, and certainly one of the earliest in North Wales. Viewed from the south‑east corner, the observer may note that the entrance front is composed of an original main wall, except for the final two or three feet, later extended toward the north bank. The present windows and door are, of course, of much later date. Of the south front, the original 15th‑century outer fabric stretches westwards as far as the very obvious point where begins the 19th‑century extension—of which more later.

Internally, an original partition wall runs east to west, floor to roof, immediately to the left as one enters the front door. (The wall to the right must be completely ignored when thinking in terms of the early building.) This partition contained between it and the outer south wall an arrangement of nine almost square, small rooms, arranged in rows of three on three floors, each above the other and inter‑connecting. These were the family rooms, reserved for their use alone, while to the north the greater area thus remaining was composed of one great retainers’ hall, open from the earth floor to the roof, having an enormous fireplace at the western end (still to be seen in the present dining room) with a gallery above, entered from the first floor of the family apartments. Ellis the builder had at least eight sons and four daughters to occupy the family apartments and on the other side numerous retainers, so it will be appreciated that a large house was required. Beyond the main structure would be ancillary buildings—probably of “lean‑to” construction and housing kitchen/store rooms, stabling, etc.

Early Alterations
With the coming of quieter times in Wales and need for all (family and retainers, etc.) to live under one roof lessened. Separate farm units were built on the estate and as they became occupied, so the retainers’ hall emptied, until the family had their house to themselves at last. With this came the desire to spread into more comfortable apartments, but very little was done until the opportunity arose as a result of the kind benefaction of the Rev. Thomas Yale LL.D. In his will, circa 1575, the reverend gentleman left a sum of money to his trustees “for the repair of the house in Yale.” The money was to go to his brother, John Yale, if still alive, and although we assume that it did, it would appear that no major work was started here until some 40 or 50 years later, no doubt due to the national climate and uncertain times, making it difficult to attend to the happier business of home‑making.

By the time the work was eventually put in hand, the house was at least 160 years old, and must indeed have been needing some repair. New, larger leaded windows were fitted to replace the old and a very few of these may still be seen in the south front today. The retainers hall was sub‑divided, making a large kitchen of the north‑western end (with an outer door immediately to the right of the fireplace) and a dairy/larder of the north‑eastern half. Above were new apartments with sleeping lofts for servants above them again. It is quite likely that the tall, narrow extension to the eastern end of the south front (shown surmounted by a dormer window in the Ingleby painting) was added then also. About this time a home farm was built below the house to the south‑west, its yard being sited where the great Wellingtonia rises from the shrubbery today. And so things largely remained for a further hundred years.

The Advent of Elegance

By 1820 the Plas had once again fallen into a state of decay and the following year saw the death of Sarah Yale, who had lived the greater part of her years of ownership at her Mother’s house in Wrexham. Unmarried and without issue, she bequeathed the estate to her kinsman Col. William Parry Jones‑Parry who, in accordance with her wish, adopted the surname and arms of Yale.

With the coming of Colonel Yale, a new broom swept through the dusty chambers of the old Plas, thus beginning the only period of real prosperity the estate was to enjoy. Brimful of energy, young (31) and ambitious, he was further endowed with that all‑important asset — MONEY — so often before (and since!) in short supply here. The considerable amount of prize money received in recognition of service in the Peninsular War, plus the inheritance of “a fair estate” was of course a fine start for any young man. He lost no time in improving the general state of things here.

By 1825 the visitor approaching found, instead of the previously confusing architectural muddle, a new, neat entrance front at the east end, finished in the style of a country house of the late Georgian period. This had been comparatively cheaply achieved by re‑siting the front door in the original east wall of circa 1450 and replacing all windows with the then larger and more fashionable sash variety. The new (present) main drive climbed up from the road through pleasant parkland to a gravel carriage‑sweep laid before the entrance front. Those interested in architectural detail may care to note the following:

a) The original outer wall of this end was extended by some four feet towards the north bank, thus destroying oldthe 15th century fabric of the north wall of the …retainers hall. Into the thickness of the new wall was incorporated the present drawing‑room chimney, and that of the blue room above. It is also quite certain that the total height of the east wall must have, at the same time, been increased by three or four feet, this with the new windows giving the house the appearance of having two stories only.

b) The upper left‑hand “blind” window of this front was never at any time more than just that, and had nothing to do with “window tax,” a conclusion so often erroneously drawn by first‑time observers. It was, however, originally in order to look “real,” and was simply an example of the good taste of those times, which appreciated the value of a proper sense of balance and design — no longer regarded as important by present‑day architects. Adequate light, of course, available to the room through the other two windows below south front. Similarly, the topmost row of panes of the two windows on the south front (the ceiling height of the room beneath being ground floor windows to the right) and in the north wall the left‑hand windows of the ground and first floors follow the same rule.

c) Close observation will reveal that all the features of the east front are off‑centre, with the exception of the apex of the roof itself. Internally, however, all is well and as it should be. Again the pattern was decreed too familiar a formula of adapting old symmetry, as is the present writer. Mr. T. P. O. Yale drew up many schemes of “suitable” alterations — none of which were for one reason or another ever carried out. Being familiar with these plans and expressing a purely personal view, this may be said to be no bad thing, and illustrates the dangers of disguising one impression behind the facade of another. It is hoped that as funds permit, plans may be put into operation with the minimum of detriment to the old fabric.

Returning to Colonel Yale, he made some attempt to establish gardens and built the present stable block, consisting of stalls for eight horses, two coach houses and grooms’ quarters, plus ancillary buildings. From the stables a second new drive was cut directly through the woodland to the main road in the direction of Bryneglwys village. With the growing importance of Corwen town, and especially after the arrival of the railway, the usefulness of this drive was increasingly felt.
Now the railway has gone and the drive has fallen into disrepair. Similarly so suffered the old north drive after the building of the new.
The old home farm, situated as previously described below the south front of the house, was demolished and re-established some half mile along the road in the direction of Corwen. Ty Mawr, as it was called, remains today, but at the time of writing a new and larger house is in the course of construction in the orchard there. It is supposed, therefore, that the fate of the original and charming old dwelling must inevitably be in the balance.

And so it may be seen that Colonel Jones Parry Yale, whatever his faults, brought to the Plas its first air of elegance and more particularly gave his attention to:

The Internal Arrangements


The Georgian era brought with it gracious living to all who could afford it and many who could not strained their resources to the full in altering and enriching their homes. Fortunately Colonel Yale, as we have seen, was in the position of being able to spend a certain amount of money on the embellishing of his newly acquired estate. A good dining room and an elegant drawing room were two of the
basic essentials for a gentleman's house of his day-both were sadly lacking here. Accordingly, his extensive repairs and alterations to the east half of the house were centred about the providing of these two apartments, together with a new and imposing entrance hall, with improved bed-chambers on the floors above. This was achieved by the erecting of another partition wall, running parallel to and at a distance of some eight feet from the original of 1450. Thus was formed a long, narrow hall, to be entered by the new front door at the east end and having a well-proportioned staircase with mahogany wainscoting and balustrading rising at the further end. The intersecting wall of the 1620 alterations was cut through with a
simple arch of pleasing design, the whole having a floor of sandstone flags, beneath which the cellar accommodation was extended into a brick tunnel-vault to house the wine.
The old kitchen was converted into a new dining room, having its great chimney reduced to a flue of modest proportions, before which was fitted a black marble fireplace in the style of the period. A large semi-venetian window did much to improve the amount of natural light and would have been adequate enough did it not face into the steeply rising and well-wooded north bank. Into the east wall was cut a half-domed alcove some seven feet tall-an interesting feature and display area
A new floor of fine oaken boards was laid upon joists-resting alas upon the bare earth. The folly of this was to be paid for later on. Above all was suspended a fine plaster ceiling of delicate workmanship and quite the best in the house.
The drawing room was formed out of the dairy-larder and remains as built, an elegant room of pleasing proportions. Here the new fireplace was given a fine white marble chimney-piece in the style of the brothers Adam restrained. The balanced pair of well-panelled doors in the south wall lead, one to the hall and the other a china cupboard set into the thickness of the wall. Between the two was positioned a
similar alcove to that of the dining room-in truth an example of good taste carried too far, as the close proximity of three such large decorative features in one wall caused confusion to the eye. A later generation had the good sense to close this
over with a facing of lath and plaster, thus forming a hollow enclavure, suitable for the housing of an anchorite!
Here again a good window and a fine plaster ceiling completed the room and gave the Colonel's Lady a suitable apartment in which to withdraw with her friends whilst the gentlemen lingered in the dining room over their port. It is sad that these
two rooms, in themselves both comfortable and tasteful, should "enjoy" such dismal aspects-the one looking north and the other east-thus never to know the pleasure of a flood of sunshine through their windows. It must be supposed that the
Colonel and his advisers considered the difficulties involved in converting the south facing rooms to accommodate these apartments too numerous to be practical.


Indeed, very little was in fact done in this part of the house other than to convert the small room to the left of the front door into a pleasant little parlour-light and cheerful, intimate and cosy.

A new floor of oaken boards was suspended some eighteen inches above the old original slate-stone slabs, thus effectively reducing the ceiling height. In the east wall a largish sash window was placed to supplement the two small ones to the
south, of 1620 date-both of which may be clearly seen in the Ingleby watercolour-and a handsome grey marble fireplace added a touch of refinement. To the left of this the communicating door to the room beyond was closed up and turned into a cupboard.
Also, the second of these three south-facing rooms became the servants hall, above the fireplace being the long board of brass bells, connected by a complex system of wires to attractively finished pulls and handles in all the new apartments. The third room having been converted into an entrance hall during earlier alterations, remained more or less as a secondary entrance, while the kitchens, etc. were housed in the remaining portion to the west. Thus the ground floor plan was now greatly altered.
On the first floor a spacious landing, well lit by a long window (which continued up to the floor above) gave access to the main bedrooms. Three fine new rooms had been completed above the dining room, drawing room and front hall respectively, whilst to the south the original small chamber of 1450 remained undisturbed above the parlour, except for the complete removal of the ceiling, thus making it one with the room above, forming a room of ridiculous height in proportion
to its length and breadth and having now two windows, one being exactly above the other! The adjoining room was similarly treated, with the additional feature of the west wall being moved back four feet to the height of the lower room only. a range of cupboards being built into most of the space thus gained. The topmost window in both of these rooms dates from the alterations of 1620. The lower window of the larger room has scratched upon one pane "J. C Yale 1871," the work of Jame Corbet Yale, then twelve years old.
The door at the turn of the main staircase gave access to the servants rooms above the kitchen area and this section could also be reached from the staircase in the old entrance hall. From the main landing a staircase led up to the large rooms
on the top floor-later to become day and night nurseries. Colonel Yale himself had no children and would not have used them as such. All of this was crowned by a new roof of different design and pitch to the old one and having two dormer windows looking north.
Thus-just in time-was a new lease of life given to the old house, no more of any real consequence being done until:

The Building of the West Half
With the death of Colonel William Parry Yale on the 6th of June 1867, the estate passed to his nephew, William Corbet Yale-Jones-Parry, for whom it would seem he personally cared very little (and his wife even less), thus did he leave all
that he could away from his heir. The widow (Eliza Flora) taking this a step further, held a sale of the principal contents of the house and dispersed many of the Yale portraits and mementoes to more distant members of her husband's family.
The legality of all this must be regarded with the most serious doubt, as it clearly contravened the wishes expressed in her will by the late Sarah Yale, and although at the time much consideration was given as to the expediency of taking the matter to law, nothing was eventually done.

William Corbet Yale-Jones-Parry was a barrister at law and spent much time on the Australian Circuit. Upon succeeding to his inheritance he in turn took the surname and arms of Yale and soon after began his own contribution to the development of the house. As has been seen, his predecessor had left the main apartments in fine order, but at the time of his death the old west portion, housing the domestic offices, was in a state of advanced decay.
Realising the urgent need, Mr. Yale-Jones-Parry took the opportunity afforded by one of his absences abroad, to put in hand the re-building and extending of this section. Unfortunately, thinking to do a kindness to an unemployed architect friend, he completely entrusted the work to him. The end result was "'the present nine-room monstrousity which we now see."
This new extension was, however, spacious and convenient if not ornamental, bringing some order to the arrangement of the kitchen and domestic offices, being in fact larger than the nine south facing rooms. In an era when it was thought im-
possible to manage a household without the maximum number of servants, the new accommodation provided for these at all levels-butler's pantry, house keeper's sitting room, etc., with spacious and surprisingly pleasant sleeping accommodation
on the top floor.
The first floor provided three additional bedrooms, a bathroom and what was for its day a very modern water-closet. With the completion of all this, Plas yn Yale was for the first time able, modestly but reasonably, to compete with some of its newer and more opulent neighbours, thus making it suitable for the holding of the fashionable shooting and house-parties of those days.
With the general improving of the domestic offices, the previous servants hall and adjoining area (the old entrance) were available for development and incorporating into the over-all scheme. The partition wall between the two was demolished and re-sited six feet further west, thus forming a large room, used as a smoking room for the gentlemen, and a place where estate affairs were dealt with. The remaining area was subdivided, making a housemaid's closet to the left of the staircase (the outer door being closed up and replaced by a window) and the rest forming an odd-shaped small hall, with access to the new kitchen passage, where hung the bell board. This totally enclosed area served as a buffer between the front and back sections of the house.
This development, together with the complete stucco-rendering of all the outer walls of the house, and further attention to the gardens, was completed about 1869.
At the same time a large bay-window was added to the small front parlour-taking up the entire width of the south wall and completely replacing the two small windows shown in the 1794 water-colour. Also, the ceiling height of the two rooms above, which it will be remembered had been increased to unreasonable proportions during Colonel Yale's alterations, was brought down by some four feet. Ample evidence of this, together with what remains of the original wallpaper, may be seen in the storage loft above.
And so was completed what was to be the final episode of alteration and extension in the story of Plas yn Yale, with certain small exceptions. In 1899 Mr. Yale-Jones-Parry took back his original surnames upon succeeding to the Madryn Castle Estate (Caernarfonshire) from Sir T. L. Jones-Parry, Bart, and adopted this more imposing residence as his principal home. The overall benefits accruing from this
inheritance would seem to be few, and it may well have been a far better thing for Plas yn Yale had Sir Love Jones-Parry left his property elsewhere. Of all this more later ...
Mr. Yale-Jones-Parry died early in the February of 1909 and was followed by his son, Thomas Osborne Yale. He came into an estate (or rather two) grossly in debt and mortgaged to the hilt. Therefore, having neither capital nor time on his
side (being destined to die at the early age of 54 years) he was unable to carry out the many plans he had made for the almost total restoration, alteration and enlargement of this house. He succeeded only in such minor matters as the installation of a
new and more efficient hot water system, the proper fitting up of the west end bathroom, and the making of the former house maid's closet on the ground floor into a cloakroom, with lavatory and hand basin.
Although a qualified electrical engineer and a pioneer of hydro-electric power in North Wales, he was not successful in the installing of electric light here, even though this had always been very much in his mind. The advent of his death in
1922 was to mark the end of "full-blown" family occupation as far as this house was concerned. At this point a (then) up-to-date ground floor plan might serve to remind the reader of the size and layout of the building:
It may be seen that the Plas, although now being able to offer quite adequate accommodation, could not be called the most convenient or the most attractive of country houses. For example, in order to pass from the kitchen to the dining room,
it was necessary to negotiate four doors and a short flight of three steep stone steps. Again, the two best and most important rooms in the house, the dining room and
the drawing room, looked one to the north and one to the west, while the smoke room, although large enough, and south facing, suffered an inadequate amount of natural light from the old leaded window and an off-centre fireplace.
Flight Lieutenant William Corbet Yale was 22 years of age when the estate passed to him upon the death of his Father. Unmarried, and following a career which allowed him to spend very little time at home, little was seen of him here. His untimely death-killed whilst on active service in India in 1936-brought distress to the family and added further to the problems. However, not withstanding the inadequacies of the house, he had managed to let the property to Admiral W Nunn, C.B., who proved also to be an admirable tenant. A batchelor and comparative stranger to these parts, it may well be imagined that he might have found life here somewhat dull, but did however achieve the writing of at least one successful
book.
The departure of Admiral Nunn made it necessary to seek another tenant, and this appeared to have been satisfactorily achieved some twelve months before the owner's unfortunate death. In the spring of 1935 preparations for the change of
occupier began to take place, and a small army of men moved in to give the house what was to be its last major decoration for some thirty odd years. It is regretted that these efforts, destined to last so long, had to be for the greater part in such unfortunate if expensive taste!
Flight Lieutenant Yale was succeeded by his younger brother, George Weir Yale, married and following a naval career. By this time it was already evident that all was not well with the new tenants, and soon the house was empty once again. Gathering storm clouds and the rumblings of war over Europe made the future uncertain for an old-fashioned country house without electricty and a (by now) somewhat unpredictable water supply. Efforts to secure a suitable tenant failed and for
several reasons the new owner and his lady did not see it as a reasonable proposition to set up home here. The problem was for the moment solved by the employing of an excellent but temporary caretaker.
By the end of 1939 the house had been closed up, the major and more valuable contents removed into storage, and the owner away to the war. And so, for the duration the house, in a close-shuttered slumber, suffered damp and decay. Even
the government, ever eager to evacuate to the countryside, were eventually to decide that they could find no use for the place. Dry rot attacked the ground floors and very quickly began to ring what could well have been the death knell of the
ancient house of Yale.

The Latter Years

In 1952 Commander George Weir Yale retired from the navy, a somewhat disillusioned man, with problems enough over and above those which he knew he must face here. From even the most cursory inspection of the property, it was evident that immediate repair work must be put in hand-no easy task with labour, materials and money at a premium. However, an initial emergency operation, designed to tackle the most essential repairs, was begun, working up to a maximum cost of some three thousand pounds. Even this modest target was not completely achieved, in the main because the building contractors employed could not be prevailed upon to finish the job-always finding something preferable to do nearer home and this, alas, has been the story ever since. Nothing begun has ever been completely finished and the accompanying frustrations may well be imagined.
Failing health, and accumulating difficulties in other directions, made it impossible for him to do little more than keep the house wind and weather proof; having a small suite of furnished rooms on the first floor in which to stay and from
whence to direct operations when visiting. By the beginning of the 1960's the further deterioration of his physical condition made it plain to Commander Yale that drastic steps must be taken and in 1965 he sold by private treaty all that remained of the Yale lands hereabouts to P. Beech and Sons, a family of working farmers who had for many years been the principal tenants.
Now was the future of the house itself very much in doubt. Some time before Commander Yale had decided that its general condition had gone too far for it to have any future as a domestic dwelling of the type for which it had been intended,
and even though he and the writer had given serious consideration to the latter's taking it on for just that purpose, the matter was eventually dismissed as impracticable. Eventually the house was cleared of what remained by way of furniture, etc. and after taking an over-strenuous part in these activities, Commander Yale found himself in a North Wales hospital, afterwards returning to his Caernarfonshire home, never, as it happened, to set foot here again ...
Thus deserted might the old house, already the home of bats and rats, have quickly been reduced to a heap of stones. However, the forthcoming marriage of the youngest of the Beech sons brought about the question of somewhere for them
to live and they wondered if it might be possible to adapt enough of the western end of the house to suit their needs. The idea was not all that impracticable. After all, it was the most "modern" end of the building and having been designed purely as domestic quarters had smaller rooms with lower ceilings than the much more elaborate, larger and colder family rooms of the old house. Also, in a somewhat futile attempt to obtain suitable caretakres, this end had been roughly adapted as a
separate unit some ten years before. And so work was begun. By erecting a wall across the kitchen passage immediately outside the house keeper's room, and another in the same position across the passage above, thus were the ground and
first floors of this end immediately closed off from the bulk of the building. A new staircase to the right of the side door (replacing the boot and gun room) gave access to the first floor and so was effectively completed the total amount of structural alteration required. The second floor, together with what remained of the house – largely comprising the whole of the original old Plas, was for the time being abandoned.
For the rest, the old kitchen became a large dining/living room, the scullery made a new kitchen and the housekeeper's room a sitting room. All else remained as planned and the first floor was more or less adequate as it stood, except for the
installation of new plumbing and bathroom fittings. Mercifully, mains water was found to be available and this, plus the advent of electricity to the valley in 1953 (too late to benefit the house at that time) made general living conditions much easier. All alterations were of a "modernising" nature, so there is nothing of real interest to be seen in this end now.


In the spring of 1971 the writer, having spent some days in Caernarfonshire with Mr. George W. Yale did, upon returning home to Llangollen, make what was to prove a fateful visit to Plas yn Yale. He too had not set foot there since completing the clearing of old family books, etc. in 1965 (Mr. Yale, it will be remembered, having been suddenly removed to hospital) and the journey was both a sentimental and apprehensive one. Having always had a deep affection for and fond memories of the old house, the thought of its standing empty and deserted had discouraged the making of many a half-planned visit, being content instead with a distant view from the top of the Horseshoe Pass. Only now had this come about by Mr. Yale's requesting the caller to deal with a business matter he himself had been unable to attend to. Inevitably, of course, it proved impossible to leave without making, alone, a tour of the old house, room by room, re-living the events of happier days.


How different was it all now! During these six short years of neglect how completely had disappeared any trace or feeling of a domestic dwelling, having instead the air and appearance of some long abandoned feudal barn. Broken windows and
doors gave access to all. Rats scurried away, annoyed at the disturbance; filth and dirt filled every corner. One bedroom was a corn store, another had obviously long been the home of dogs, as witnessed by the unmistakable evidence left behind.
Worst of all was the dining room, window gone and great gaping hole in the north wall, through which had entered the large, oily tractor now sheltering below its once proud plaster ceiling. In short, quite the most aristocratic set of farm buildings the country could boast.

Overriding all the baser instincts, to weep, to run, to abandon forever, was the much more powerful one TO RESTORE. But at what cost and incredible difficulties? The decision, however, had been made and it only remained to persuade others. After a good dinner and a fine wine, the plan was cautiously put to George Yale, when comfortably settled with spirits and cigar. His reaction was unexpected, and his delight astounding! Six months later, legalities and other formalities settled, restoration work was begun. Some twelve months later, to the very great sorrow of the writer, Mr. G. W. Yale died peacefully at his Caernarfonshire home, never having seen what had been done here. His interest had been real and encouraging, and his assistance of great value.
At the time of writing much has been accomplished, and much remains to do. One thing is however certain, fire has been kindled again in the old house of Yale, and burns with a steady flame, at least for the time being.
The Family of Plas yn Yale

Lineage
The Yales of Plas yn Yale are cadets of the old county Merioneth House of Corsygedol, derived, together with the Wynns of Glyn and the Wynns of Peniarth from Osborn Fitzgerald, or Osbwrn (or Osbee) Wyddel, a scion of the great line of Desmond, who emigrated to the Northern Principality about the middle of the 13th century. From this it may be concluded that the family is an old one.
From Osborn, derived fifth in descent, Griffith ap Einion who married Lowrie, daughter and heir of Tudor ap Griffith, who when upwards of 26 years old appeared as a witness in the celebrated Scrope and Grosvenor Controversy,* on the 3rd September 1386. From this alliance was born a second son, Ellis ap Griffiths, whose line we treat. He married, as we know from the foregoing section, Margaret, for whom this house was built, and here they raised at least eight children, large families being then commonplace and possibly in this case being particularly desired in order to help to replenish the heavy losses sustained during Owen Glyndwr's wars.
These numerous children, and their children's children, could well make up the subject matter of a complete book, which would do no more than bring boredom and confusion to the minds of all but the most dedicated scholars of Welsh pedigrees. Therefore mention will in the main be made of only those deserving of special consideration.
*See "Scrope & Grosvenor Controversy" by Sir Harris Nicolas.

Upon the death of Ellis in 1489 he was succeeded by his first born, David Lloyd ap Ellis, who married Gwenwhyfar, sister of John Lloyd of Llwyn-y-Maen, derived from Hedd Molwynog, Lord of Uwch Aled. Among their seven children was his celebrated son :--
THOMAS YALE LLD :- Prebendary of St. Asaph, 7th of July 1564, Dean of the Arches and Chancellor of Bangor. He was later Chancellor to Matthew Parker, the Archbishop of Canterbury during the reign of Queen Elizabeth the first. Dr. Yale was also a great champion of Welsh affairs in the London of his day, and distinquished scholar, whose works are quoted in some detail by the noted contemporary Welsh historian, David Powell of Ruabon. Locally, his good works were numerous, and he also did much for the Oswestry area, where his connections lay through his Mother's family. Doctor Thomas Yale died in 1577 and was buried at St. Gregory's Church, London (near St. Pauls), where his widow followed him in 1587.
And his younger brother –


ROGER LLOYD AP ELLIS – Who married and lived at Brynglas-Lloyd in the old county of Denbigh. He was destined to become-as far as in known-the first Welsh cabinet minister of England, being one of the two Chief Secretaries of State
under Cardinal Wolsey (Thomas Cromwell being the other) and was known in official circles as "Mr. Ellis of Yale." His name may still be seen on his stall at Westminster Abbey, of which he was a Canon, and was also the first Welshman to take a surname. Henry the Eighth, having a natural interest in Wales, issued a proclamation to his countrymen in the Principality advising them to take surnames as the English had already done. Mr. Ellis of Yale, as one of Henry's chief ministers, was quick to do so, as was his brother, Doctor Thomas Yale aforementioned, both taking, as was quite usual, the name of the district from which they came.
Also, having as it were the king's ear (or in this case his tongue) they were in a position to send to their elder brother John, the then owner of the estate, advance warning of the Royal wish, to which he quickly complied. Thus did the surname "Yale" become the oldest in North Wales and probably in all Wales. It is worth noting, however, that few other Welsh families were at the time in any hurry to
comply with the king's desire, one of the first hereabouts being the family of Jones of Llwynonn, near Wrexham, and it is interesting that both they and the Yale family are now represented as one and the same.
Mr. Ellis of Yale married Katherine, daughter of William ap Griffith-Fychan, Lord of Kymmer-yn-Edeirnion, who gave him two daughters and a son.
As we have seen, David Lloyd ap Ellis was succeeded by his eldest son (brother of Thomas and Roger) to whom we may now simply refer (thankfully) with the taking of a surname as –

JOHN YALE OF PLAS YN YALE :- who married Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Mostyn Esq. of Mostyn in the old county of Flintshire, and who was descended through her Mother from the Plantagenets. To John and Elizabeth was born a
daughter and an only son, Doctor Thomas Yale LL.D. (and aforementioned), who in his will dated circa 1575 left to his trustee David Yale D.C.L., LL.D. (Chancelor of Chester, owner of the Plas Grono Estate near Wrexham and great-grandfather
of the celebrated Elihu Yale-of whom more later) a sum of money "for the repair of the old house in Yale." This money was presumably intended as a gift to his brother John (if still alive) or to his successor at Plas yn Yale. Whether young
David was slow in seeing the money allotted, or the recipient perhaps slow to spend it (which is unlikely) the by now much needed repairs were not carried out until about 1620. By this time John Yale was dead (and his wife remarried) the estate
having passed to his only son and heir: –
THOMAS YALE OF PLAS YN YALE : – who shall be known as "the first" as there are more to follow. This gentleman took as his first wife Alice, elder daughter and co-heiress of Roger Roydon, Lord of the Moiety of Bromfield, by whom he
had two daughters, Elizabeth and Dorothy. On the 12th March, 1600 he was granted by the Crown "a mill and a course of water and premises in Bryn Eglwys, within the Lordship of Bromfield and Yale." There remains to this day a building
known as "Yale Mill." Upon the death of Alice, Thomas the first took as his second wife Margaret, daughter of Hugh Puleston, of Llwyn-y-Knotie, and granddaughter of Sir John Puleston, Knight, of Hafod-y-Wern. By this marriage he had three sons and was succeeded by the eldest
THOMAS YALE (The 2nd) OF PLAS YN YALE : – of whom we know few dates except that of the 3rd January, 1649, when he signed the settlement after marriage of his son Thomas. He married Dorothy, daughter of George Bostock of Holt in the
old county of Denbigh and had four sons and a daughter, Dorothy. It is this Thomas Yale who was taken to task for having failed to submit the account of his stewardship some fifteen years after he had, in 1660, received money from public funds to oversee the repair of a bridge over the River Llorwynion, at Bryn Eglwys. From the account as finally submitted, it is interesting to find some mention of his father-inlaw : –
"Item. George Bostock Esquire did send (a) mason from Wrexham to take the worke but finding the sume allowed to be soe small he would not medle with it but the sd Thomas Yeale faine to give 5/- for his journey and view of the Place and
hath not beene paid of his 5s as yett but he thinks that the Justices at the Peace will order it to be reyimpursed."
The date of his death is not known but he was succeeded by his eldest son: –

THOMAS YALE (The 3rd) OF PLAS YN YALE :- who married on the 2nd October, 1649, Dorothy, daughter of Humphrey Hughes of Gwerclas and Kymmeryn-Edeirnion. He became a Captain in the army of Charles the 1st, who is reputed
to have spent a night here after his defeat at the battle of Rowton Heath, although we can offer no real proof of this. Unlike more careless monarchs, whose left behind litter of old gloves, discarded shoes and even locks of hair are to be seen in
most open-to-the-public British country houses, he would have appeared to have removed from here all which he brought with him.
Captain Thomas Yale returned here in 1660 and produced a further three children, there being only one surviving of the five previously born to him and his wife. This was : –
HUMPHREY YALE OF PLAS YN YALE :- born on the 25th January 1656 and coming into the estate on the death of his Father in 1682. He married Susan, daughter of Thomas Lloyd Esq. of Dongay in the old mid-Wales county of Mont-
gomeryshire. His settlement before marriage is dated 25th September, 1678, and other than this little is know of him. He was succeeded, after a presumably early death, by his son: –


THOMAS YALE (The 4th) OF PLAS YN YALE: – who, even less fortunate than his Father, died in April, 1697, when only 15 years old, and was succeeded by his brother: –


DAVID YALE OF PLAS YN YALE: – who was but eleven years old in July of the year during which he inherited. He married Margaret, the daughter and heiress of Edward Maurice of Cae Nor, in Llansainffraid-Glynceiriog. Their first born, yet another Thomas, died at the early age of 29 years. David Yale himself died at the considerable age of 86 years, on the 29th of January 1763, and was buried with his wife (this latter having pre-deceased him in January, 1754) at Oswestry Church, where a monument may be seen to their memory. He was succeeded by his second and only remaining son: –


REV. JOHN YALE OF PLAS YN YALE :- A clerk in Holy Orders, who was born in April, 1716 and married Francis, daughter of John Jones Esq. of Llwynon, Wrexham. They had two sons and a daughter, Sarah. The Rev. John Yale held a
living in or near Coedpoeth, which fully occupied him there, to the detriment of this house and estate. He died on the 16th September, 1789, was buried in Bryn Eglwys Church (where a monument may be seen to him and his wife) and was succeeded by his only surviving son: –


REV. JOHN YALE B.D. M.A. OF PLAS YN YALE :- Fellow of St. John's College, Cambridge, where he proceeded to obtain his B.A. in 1767, M.A. in 1770 and S.T.B. in 1777, Rector of Lawford, Kent in 1779, where he died, unmarried, in April, 1800. He was buried in Bryn Eglwys Church and succeeded by his sister and heir: –

SARAH YALE OF PLAS YN YALE :- Last of the old family. Finding her inheritance in poor order, and the living conditions here somewhat depressing, she chose to live largely at her Mother's more fashionable house in Wrexham. Dying
unmarried on the 13th June, 1821, the estate was under her will, dated 7th November, 1818, entailed (with subsequent limitations in favour of the Rev. John Parry Jones-Parry) or William Parry Jones-Parry, younger son of Thomas Jones-Parry of Llwynon and Madryn Castle, her Mother's nephew. Miss Yale was the last to be buried in the family vault beneath the Yale Chapel in Bryn Eglwys Church, and was succeeded as stated by: –


WILLIAM PARRY YALE OF PLAS YN YALE :- The fourth son of Thomas Parry Jones-Parry of Madryn Castle, Caernarfonshire and youngest brother of Lt. General Sir Love Jones-Parry, K.H., who inherited there. His second brother was Captain Jones-Parry R.N. of Llwynonn, near Wrexham, the ancient Jones family seat, as already mentioned.
Colonel Yale, although only a young subaltern, had distinguished himself in the Peninsular War, and was present in the following battles, for which he won the Peninsular Medal and eight clasps :-
Talavera
Busaco
Vittoria
Pyrenees
Nivelle
Nive
Orthes and Toulouse

He was twice severely wounded at the engagement of Pampeluna Heights of Sacre and had his horse shot under him, when acting as field officer. At Albuera, being Captain of the Light Company, he brought his battalion of the 48th out of that hard fought and dearly won action, during which all his senior officers were killed or disabled. The British suffered a total of 4,500 killed or wounded, out of only 6,000 men. Colonel Yale received the Gold Medal in commemoration of his part in this battle.


In 1821, by Miss Sarah Yale's testamentary direction, the name and arms of Yale were substituted for those of Jones-Parry, and the Colonel set about the work of alteration and restoration here. Under his direction and enterprise the estate once conditions of Miss Sarah Yale's will, the estate again became and efficient and viable unit, soon to be well known for Arab horses which were bred up here. He had learnt the value of these splendid animals during the Spanish campaign, and upon securing the contract for the operation of mail coaches from Corwen to Cernioge, put them to good use. This was a fine new stretch of road, engineered by Thomas Telford and was for the most part straight and fast.

One hundred years later, a small boy (now-Duncan Robertson Esq., of Llan-tysilio Hall-and fully grown!) somehow managed to detach himself from a party of visitors to Plas yn Yale, finding his way to an attic there, being puzzled then (and for many years afterwards) at being confronted with rows of old and dusty top-hats. These were undoubtedly part of the "uniform" with which Colonel Yale's mail coach men were fitted out. He successfully ran this service for upwards of twenty-five years, after which, it is presumed, the new railway would have taken over.
Colonel Yale married Eliza Flora, daughter of John Saunderson Esq., who was to prove not the most popular of ladies with certain members of the family, and from whose will an extracted copy is to be seen in Bryn Eglwys Church. Her husband died at Bath on 6th June, 1867. Eliza Flora survived him (finding the time and strength to do more mischief here) until the 7th July, 1882. Under the terms and conditions of Miss Sarah Yale's will, the estate next passed to: --

WILLIAM CORBET YALE-JONES-PARRY B.A., J.P., etc. He was the nephew of the last mentioned, son of the Rev. John Parry Jones-Parry and did, upon inheriting, substitute by Royal Licence in 1867 the name and arms of Yale for those of
Jones-Parry, as his uncle had done before him. Born in 1825, four years after the death of Sarah Yale (the details of whose will being, of course, known to his parents) he was given the name of "Yale" in readiness, as it were.
Educated at Oxford, and becoming a Barrister at Law, he married Isabella, youngest daughter of the Rev. James Clow, Chaplain, H.E.I.C.S., Bombay, having five sons and a daughter. In 1891 he adopted the name of Jones-Parry upon inheriting the Madryn Castle estate, following the death of his uncle, Sir T.L.D. Jones-Parry. (This gentleman, whom unfortunately we cannot treat here, had led an interesting, if sometimes irresponsible life, having inherited a considerable fortune,
and devising many ways to spend it. He was a great friend of King Edward VII, a pioneer of the Welsh colony in Patagonia, and did much for his own part of Caernarfonshire. He died in 1891, having been married but five years and having no children.)
As was seen in the preceding section, Mr. Yale Jones-Parry was responsible for the rebuilding of the west half of Plas yn Yale, but decided to abandon his masterpiece and take up residence at Madryn, which had more to offer. It is quite likely that in reaching this decision he was much influenced by his wife and daughter, who would be quick to see the advantages to be gained in entertaining there in an age when great importance was attached to these things.
The Madryn episode was a financial disaster from which the family never really recovered. The house was costly to run and the net income from the estate low. Sir Love had made the provision that his widow should receive a substantial annual lump sum from this and all his capital had been left elsewhere. Also, for a man of considerable intellect and education, Mr. Yale Jones-Parry showed surprisingly
poor judgment in his selecting of many friends and advisers.
In consequence, after his death in 1909, both estates were found to be mortgaged to the hilt and the following year Madryn was sold completely, to help alleviate the position. Subsequently, more than two thirds of Plas yn Yale estate had to be sold up for the same reasons, and ever since it has been necessary for additional money to be brought in to keep what remained intact. These then were the problems to be faced by: –


THOMAS PARRY OSBORNE YALE :- Second surviving son of the above, the first "Yale" to be born here for over 100 years. With the unfortunate end of Madryn, the family once more returned here, and he had but twelve short years as master of this estate, during which time the financial difficulties already outlined made it impossible for him to do any more than to keep things going-more or less-and the hosue in reasonable repair.
Fortunately he had an external income which allowed him to maintain a reasonable standard of living, but there was nothing to spare for the large scale alterations he would like to have seen carried out here. His great desire was to be able to hand over the estate as a reasonable proposition to his heir, no doubt motivated by his own less fortunate experience, but time also was against him. He died in 1922 and was succeeded by his elder son: –


FLIGHT LIEUTENANT WILLIAM CORBET YALE B.A .:- who was in fact, due in the main to his long absences from home, unable to achieve anything of real cnsequence here before his untimely death in 1936. He was followed by his brother: –


COMMANDER GEORGE WEIR YALE R.N .:- Born at ty Gwyn, Bettws-y-Coed, his parents' marital home, entering after prep. school the Royal Naval College, Dartmouth, and seeing much service abroad, finally resigning his commission from the Navy in 1950, Mr. G. W. Yale was largely from necessity an absentee owner of this estate, spending his "retirement" years at the delightful Caernarfonshire house, where his wife had established a most beautiful garden.
Few men could have come into an estate under less favourable conditions, which try as one might – and he DID try – became increasingly worse as time went on. This, coupled with progressively ill-health, eventually reached its climax with what he considered to be "the final death throes" of Plas yn Yale in the early 1960's. Mr. Yale lived but a few short years after ridding himself of his responsibilities here, but Yale of Yale occupied his thoughts and interest to the end. He was the last of the name to inherit and his ashes returned to Bryn Eglwys Church in 1973.
He himself still ponders and deliberates in the many rooms of the old Plas, sometimes sharing it with his Father, plus old Colonel Yale-and myself of course!
We all rub along pretty well together.

L. Gordon Sherratt, Esq.

A Personal Note

My earliest memories of Plas yn Yale are of a very special, very secret place, hidden from the eyes of the world and above all, a place of great peace. Surrounded by fine old trees and having no view of any other habitation, the Plas had a timeless, magical air, where visits were memorable and always to be looked forward to.
As the war-dust settled over Europe, so the dust of undisturbed neglect grew thicker on the floors and furniture of the dark, shuttered rooms. Unlike the cobweb covered mansion of Miss Faversham, so brilliantly architected by Mr. Dickens, no one living remained here, and the house it was that waited. A mouse might rattle behind the dry wainscoting, hurrying his way to the foodless kitchen, as silently,
fatally, the dry-rot spores greedily devoured the fine oak floors of the principal rooms.
Peace came, but brought little prosperity-certainly not here. But at least the house could live again, not alas the good, gay life of earlier days, the clatter of carriages heralding happy comings and goings-house parties, dinner parties, shooting parties, guns gleaming, disappearing into the soft smelling thickets of a sun-damp
and misty autumn morning.

Sad times, too, there were. The final clearing of this house with accompanying bonfires and burnings, bringing about the removal of all those "effects" which make a home of any house. And my last look-around, having loaded up many hundreds of old family books, taken as a temporary measure to one of my properties in Llangollen to await sorting. This temporary home was theirs for upwards of two years.


The death of George Yale early in 1973 was an occasion of very great sorrow to me and the even more unexpected passing of his wife, later in the same year, was an overwhelming blow. Barbara Yale was a woman of tremendous strength of character and great humour, a dedicated gardener and a charming companion. At the time of writing their much loved Caernarfonshire home is shut up and deserted, although one hopes not for long.

When I eventually took possession here there was much to do and much still remains to be done. My aim has always been to restore, rather than to alter or reconstruct. Thus did I give long consideration to work involving some minor demolition of the circa 1821 alterations at the hand of Colonel Yale. Of all the preceding owners he it was (with the obvious exception of George) to whom I felt the greatest
affinity. His re-making of the east end-within the limitations set by the old house – was very much to my taste and I hesitated to presume that I could improve upon his work.
One matter alone, however, caused me great annoyance. From within two feet of the foot of the main staircase a solid wall ran, floor to ceiling, following it the whole way (up to the half-landing) on the right hand side. This had the effect of enclosing the stairway and left no space between itself and the hand-rail balustrading.
Furthermore, at right angles to the east end and travelling in a northerly direction, was a further shorter wall containing a door, which effectly shut off the furthermost west end of the hallway, forming beyond it a short, dark and particularly disagreeable passage.
Eventually I resolved that all this should be swept away and the staircase opened up. How the old Colonel would view this act of sacrilege gave me cause for concern, and as the work actually began, I expected that some disaster would at any moment befall. Nothing happened, and the end result of the work was as happy an improvement as had been hoped.
Early the following morning I received a telephone call from Mr. and Mrs. Peter Adair of Cwm Alis Hall, Llangollen, who had lately moved to the area. The message was that they had something of interest to me if collection could be arranged. This was done at the earliest possible moment and, intrigued, I opened the small package, revealing a polished frame from the centre of which an early
photograph of Colonel Yale in old age smiled genially out at me – looking exactly like my Grandfather during his latter years! His approval of my action was obvious – perhaps he thought himself never too old to learn!
The explanation was simple. A few days before, Mr. and Mrs. Adair had purchased a "job-lot" of old photograph frames and would not have noticed the Colonel had it not been for the clearly written identification details on the back.
Being aware of the connection, they kindly telephoned me and he now has pride of place in the library here, in contrast to his colourful portrait as a young man in military uniform which hangs in the drawing room-which he himself created.
This, then, is the state of Plas yn Yale today. Slowly the fabric is being repaired and one by one the rooms come back into use. notwithstanding the tragic Madryn sale and all that has since then had to go for one reason or another, there are still some few remnants of the old possession to be seen here. Much more, of course, remains elsewhere, divided amongst the members of the Yale-Jones-Parry
family.
It is regretted that Plan yn Yale is not open to the public, and all but legitimate visitors are discouraged. Would-be housebreakers are asked to note that despite rumours of much treasure hidden here – including the Welsh crown jewels – these have probably far less
substance than those concerning ghosts. Twice before have certain doubtful "gentlemen" thought it worth their while to enter the house illegally, only to be disappointed in their findings. If you have any real knowledge of the whereabouts of such valuables, please let us know through the usually adopted channels, and we shall gladly share the proceeds with you.
Warning:
Great care has been taken in the preparation of this account to be as accurate as possible in all details. Unfortunately this has not always been the case in the past Lloyd's "Powys Fadog" although in the main an excellent and invaluable work does, when dealing with this subject, contain several mistakes. The coats of arms are quite incorrect, being based upon the coat used by a South Wales branch of Osburn Wyddel's family and having no application here.
A. N. Palmer, who may be forgiven many things for his redoubtable work in giving Wrexham a history, did, however, when turning his attention in this direction, copy some of Lloyd's mistakes and regrettably introduced some of his own. He should never be quoted without exact confirmation from earlier sources.
L. G. Sherratt,
Plas yn Yale, 1974.

Postscript

Much has happened since the writing of the foregoing account. Much was achieved with regard to the restoration work but alas, ill health and other difficulties overtook the writer. Determination and hard fight proved to be to little avail, and slowly hopes and dreams evaporated into the cold mountain air.
Finally, the decision to leave had, with the greatest reluctance to be taken in a mood of great sadness and acute disappointment. This was in no way helped by the knowledge that it had not been possible to make any firm arrangement for the restoration work and positive future of the house to continue as we had begun.
Once again the fire no longer burns within the old house of Yale and the future of the original and historically interesting part of the house must be regarded with doubt. None but the writer will ever know with what heartbreak the front door was closed for the last time.
One good thing at least has come of it all. Out of the blue came a visit from William Yale and his wife Yvonne. Grandson of Rodney Horace Yale, whose published history (1908) was described by the late George W. Yale as "Much the fullest and best account of the whole family that I have found." From him, praise indeed.
Bill and Yvonne were at once taken to our hearts and their interest in all things Yale a joy to encounter. They were quickly followed by brother Donald, who incredibly was found to be equally delightful a companion and fired with the same interest! And there was more to come. Some months later, five male Yales arrived in Wales and all of like mind! Sadly, their arrival came too late to be of any benefit to the Plas, but their intervention in other directions cannot but be to the great advantage of the history of the Yale family.
Without them this humble account may never have seen print. Whether this has been a good thing the reader must judge for himself!

Gordon Sherratt.
Cerrig-y-Llan.
Llangollen.
February, 1980